When you decide to start Pilates you have a few options available.
Join a group class of up to 12 people, or have private Pilates as a 1:1 or 2:1.
There are benefits to both, a group class is a more viable financial option, and private sessions give you undivided attention and is specific to your own body, lifestyle and goals. Private is best for anyone recovering from injury, has any health conditions ( though still fit enough for appropriate exercise), is looking to develop fast and focussed.
To get the best from your group session, I recommend a one to one with a certified instructor prior to starting your group class. Here you will be able to discuss freely your goals and you will be given tips and recommendations specific for you as well as an introduction to the principles of Pilates and how to get the most out of your sessions.
How to start
- When you are ready to start, fill in the contact form to the right hand side =>
- From here we can discuss the details that best suit you and arrange times etc.
- Next step, to fill in a ParQ form and send back to me by email or as arranged.This is a basic health form that you fill in to notify your instructor of any injuries or health conditions and confirm that you are fit to exercise. Copy of this form can be downloaded here.
- Payment is in full in advance and can be cash, cheque, bacs transfer or Paypal. Let me know your preference and I will send you details if required
Your first lesson! (1:1 or 2:1)
- We will go through your ParQ form - ideally you sent this before our first hour to enable you to get the most out of the time. Otherwise you can fill in at start.
- We will discuss your specific goals, any injuries or health conditions, fitness levels, time you have to put into Pilates. We will also go through a postural analysis.
- I will guide you through exercises suitable for you and give take home advice and things to focus on whilst going through your exercises as well as introducing the principles of Pilates and best practices for your optimum performance.
1:1 or 2:1. You will have a programme developed specifically for you and on your goals as agreed in session 1. I will provide you with at home exercises tips and so on. Each week will be developed to increase your strength, flexibility, and mobility, create balance in your body, reduce back pain, improve posture, etc. Some of these specific to you, may as an added benefit.
- Group classes. Each group will be in a weekly block at a specific time/day over between 6 to 10 weeks dependant on time of year etc. We will start off and aim to develop and add on more and more to ensure you see and feel a benefit and growth with your Pilates and the knock on positive effects of a strong flexible mobile body helping you get the most of lifestyle.
- Group classes are set for specific groups, new to Pilates, beginner to intermediate, advanced, and super advanced. Each group have different variations of exercises and progress and develop through block to suit group. Dropping into a random class for a one off isn't great for you or anyone else in class, I want you to get the most out of your sessions.
- Saying that, drop-in's are possible if you have had a class with me or any of the instructors at Otago Street Pilates as I know you will have been taught well and know what you are doing. If there is space in the class, and the level is one that suits you.
Group class time, day, or location not great for you?